.I read in a Welsh Blog last year, that the number of Welsh People that watch any Welsh News at all is quite pathetically few, be it TV or Radio increasingly it seems any Welsh News is not just a turn off but a ''No Go Area''. I remember not so many years ago visiting a Welsh persons house in Caerdydd and they were actually watching West Country news. Somehow I do not think separating 'English' and 'Cymraeg' programmes to create S4C has really improved on this situation, has any research been done on this factor in relation S4C regards it's present predicaments of declining viewing figures?
.
In 1979 I was working in a Welsh Hospital at time of the Devolution Referendum, on 1 March day people were to vote, I had job of distributing newspapers to the wards. If I remember correctly, I must have distributed about 30 odd? of which about 5 were the Western Mail and the rest English Newspapers. Now I know those in Hospital were not likely to vote that day but at least they could read about the Referendum and Devolution, unlike those who had their 'Sias Tabloids' delivered in which such Welsh news hardly got a mention. Since then, I know this sort of situation has got worse, before my father died, I would visit him down in Bonymaen and did the News Agent there sell the W.M? Occasionally! I am told that one would be lucky to buy a Western Mail in any News Agent on or near to a large Council estate in Southern Wales, probably much same else where in Wales? It is of course made worse in present times, as the older generation brought up to read the Western Mail or another Welsh Newspaper are dieing away.
.
This leads to majority of people only interested in Sport for men and celebrity rubbish for women buying more 'Sais Tabloids', as for youngsters, they probably just do not read newspapers or watch any news. Now there are those who boast virtue of high tech as blogs and Your Tube etc, but how many people read blogs regularly? As for such as 'Your Tube', well unless your selling your message with sex or pop music, I very much doubt if you will get the message across via these modern mediums of political propaganda. The answer I am afraid is the old fashioned way of wasting shoe leather delivering leaflets through letter boxes and handing out down in the Shopping Malls. Thus, I for one welcome the call by Pariot Paul Edwards for us to get down to this ASAP! He's right!
.Pauls Appeal:
.
In 1995 or 96 there was 3000 people at a rally in Carmarthen who were from all political opinions and shared the same platform. Can it not happen again ? The facts are if we are to win any further referendums on the future of Wales then will have to somehow also get a sizable vote for yes from the so called anglicised communities ? We have to get them on our side. The St David's day rally in Cardiff 1st March 2008 could possibly be the perfect platform to launch such a campaign. It might give Plaid the kick up its arse it needs as well. In our own area myself and other nationalists on the eve of the 1997 vote delivered through doors over a 1000 leaflets in our own local area written from a historical point of view why we should vote yes. The leaflets went down very well with the local people including the local labour councillors. If I myself can show a little enterprise then I am sure the shining lights can come up with better initiatives.
.
I totally agree with Paul, but who will write such a leaflet? Who will pay for 1000's. If such can be done before the Caerdydd 'Dydd Dewi Parade', then 100's may be handed out to patriots gathered for the parade. They may then hand out to people on the pavement watching the parade go by. Further, here is a wonderful opportunity to make contact with patriots who are prepared to order 1000's more of same leaflet to hand out in their communities throughout the year, Yes! a start has got to be made somewhere, so why not on Dydd Dewi 2008, be it in Caerdydd or else where but who will organise this? Sorry! but I cannot for number of reasons, maybe one of the Pro Independence Campaign Blogs could. Possibly, I may get out a 'SOFRANIAETH STICKER' as my little contribution. I will let you know if I do ok! You may also down load one of my SOFRANIAETH designs and print out your own stickers or even posters, at least it will be a start. Go for it!
.
Other than that go picket the 'SHAM SENEDD' on Dydd Dewi with Placards bearing 'Sovereignty Slogans' and calls for Welsh Independence, it's a start!
.
Gethin.